Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Globalization

I wonder what it would be like to live in a world where everything "over The Hill and across The Water" is distant, unknown, and foreign? That sense of the world as wide, mysterious, and wild is in large part where the sense of magic comes from as I read a book like this. Everything is a new discovery for Bilbo from the moment he leaves his front porch. I sometimes feel almost cheated by the connectedness of our technological world.

2 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

Traveling still presents this feeling for me. When we went to Alaska, Maine, even Chicago, it was such a new/different world (and slightly scary at first).

January 18, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

I'm with you on this one, Degolar. This should be obvious, though, from my view on cell phones.

I've been to a lot of places, and traveling doesn't really give me the same kind of sense.

January 18, 2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home