Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Great Escape

I just finished the part in which Bilbo and the dwarves escape the elven caves using barrels. Something about this passage never sat right with me, and I'm not sure what it is. I like it and all, but it just seems a bit off and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it has something to do with the elves not checking on the supposedly empty barrels when they were weighted down by the dwarves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

I agree that the plan's success seems quite unlikely, but Tolkien makes sure to emphasize how drunk they are. Maybe that's his explanation. (Based on my memory from the last time I read it since I haven't gotten there yet this time.)

January 18, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

That does appear to be the explaination, along with their eagerness to get back to the festivities. I've never really thought that much about it, but every time I read it I briefly think about how odd the situation is.

January 19, 2007 1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home