Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Friday, January 19, 2007

A Certain Charm

I'm enjoying the way this book is written. It has a distinct storytelling feel. When I read it, I can almost hear someone telling the story. I like the long sentences and the way he defines and explains his world by working it into the narrative. For example, the whole development of dragon behavior woven into Thorin's story. Probably, for that is the dragons' way, he has piled it all up in a great heap far inside, and sleeps on it for a bed. And the rest.

I also find some if it very amusing. They need a Burglar, but if necessary you can say Expert Treasure-hunter.

So, will I find it so charming when things start to get a little messy?

3 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

I think you will. He wrote this as a children's book, after all. Most of the difficult situations are solved through cleverness, not violence, and what violence that does occur is dealt with matter-of-factly and almost casually. This book is just a nice yarn, and for all his scholarly research and historical context Tolkien's greatest success is his storytelling ability.

LOTR was written years later and produced through a much more painstaking, laborious process. It was intended for adults and is shaped by an overwhelming sense of darkness and doom, that they are facing the "end of the world." Nevertheless, even that tale is still characterized by his storytelling ability. There is much more to the books than the monsters and battles that dominated the movies. If you enjoy this at all, I would encourage you to try them sometime too.

January 19, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger scott said...

I agree with you, CDL. I love the way Tolkien writes. Sometimes, I imagine the whole story as a voiceover in my head. I guess that's what listening to a good audio-reader would be like :)

January 19, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Degolar said...

And that's why I was disappointed when the reader of the Audio CD I listened to didn't sound like the voice in my head.

January 19, 2007 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home