Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

An Elf Question

I found it interesting that the dwarves in this book were miners, just as they are in Snow White. So, therefore, my popular culture image was consistent.

I tend to think of elves, well, as in Elf. They have three life/work opportunities: shoemakers, bakers in trees, and the show (or the big dance) working for Santa. So I was surprised, pleasantly mind you, when I saw the LOTR movies and found that elves were, in fact, Orlando Bloom. So what gives? Is there a standard for the commonly known fantasy creatures? Is there flexibility? Or are the elves just a very diverse population?

1 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

It's hard to say from my perspective, since I was exposed to the Tolkien/Dungeons & Dragons Elves at a young enough age that it's always been my reference point. I haven't read much about Tolkien "behind the scenes," but I know he was a scholar and drew as much as possible on ?Scandinavian? myths and legends in the creation of Middle-Earth. I think I also read somewhere that the elves where his ideal and who he really wished to be.

March 12, 2007 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home