Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Friday, January 26, 2007

The [plot devices]! The [plot devices] are coming!

I'm done, and I still can't get over how useless the dwarves are.

I always wanted to hear the story of what happened when Gandalf left the party to go after Sauron. Anyone know if this is in any of the histories books? I've got a bunch of them, but looking would take, you know, effort.

On to Samarkand!

2 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

I don't get what Tolkien was thinking with the eagles, especially at the end. He could have written the battle with the "good guys" winning without them even entering into it; they were in no way required by the plot to swoop in and save the day. It makes me wonder why he found it necessary to include them in that way, because it does seem like such a manipulation.

January 27, 2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger Degolar said...

As much as I like the Bartimaeus Trilogy, the one thing that I found especially disappointing about The Amulet of Samarkand is that they never go to Samarkand.

January 27, 2007 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home