Something Tookish

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

For the very first time...

I finished reading The Hobbit a few weeks ago, but I've been so busy (though as Kelly would say, "I signed up for it.") that I haven't had much time to read the blogs and post here. Now I'm making time. :)

This was my first time reading The Hobbit, and I didn't have very high hopes for it. When I was little, I saw about 5 minutes of the terrible animated movie of The Hobbit, and it was way too weird for me. I didn't even know what it was at the time, but when I saw the LOTR movies, it became clear that Gollum was the "scary frog" that I'd seen for a few minutes on TV once, and I realized that this was The Hobbit.

Despite my low expectations going in, this book charmed me at once. By page 20, I was telling my coworker Jan that she needed to read it immediately. She objected that she'd tried to read the first LOTR book before and couldn't get into it, but I assured her that she'd love The Hobbit anyway... and I had only just begun. I love the whole complex, wonderful world of this story, and I fully enjoyed the riddle scene with Gollum. :)

I couldn't stop reading this book. I look forward to reading it to my kids someday when I have them. :) Thank you, whoever voted for it. I voted for Treasure Island...

Katie

P.S. I plan to read the whole LOTR series this summer. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home